2-1-1      http://www.211.texas.org

2-1-1 is a free and confidential service that provides information and referral to the top 26 counties of the Texas Panhandle. 2-1-1 can be accessed by either dialing 2-1-1 from a landline or mobile device or using the website. You can access this information 24/7 from any location using today's technology. The database is beneficial and convenient for all professionals.

Amarillo City Transit
PO Box 1971

Has fares, routes, rules for bus riders
806-383-6990  (anyone available) 
This is a large outreach center that assists families with food, clothing, and household items.  Families can call on Monday mornings from 10-12 to get appointment for that week.   
Food outreach is every Wednesday morning at 9:45am.  
Parents need picture identification card and social security card of family members.  
People must attend a short church session before getting assistance. Doors are locked at 9:45am.  
Clothing outreach is scheduled for the first and third Thursday of the month at 9:30am.  Social security cards of parents and child are required.

CareNet Referral List of all kinds of Resources   -   CareNet referrals.doc 

Car Seats 
 Call Julie Poindexter @ NWTH  354-1444 .... 
If a woman delivers and takes the one hour class, they will give a car seat to the family before they leave.  No infant seats.                       

Catholic Family Services 
376-4571  http://cfsama.com/
Helps with shelter, first time home buyer classes for immigrants, refugees, adoption, eye program over 18, food assistance for 55 & older and disabled.

Central Church of Christ Community Outreach  http://www.centralcofc.com/
1401 S. Monroe     373-4389

Food Pantry
Personal Grooming Supplies
Utility Assistance
Automotive Gas Assistance
Prescription Drug Assistance
Help with Drivers license, birth certificates and ID's until funds are depleted

Coalition of Health Services
301 S. Pollk Suite 740
Has clothing and soft goods such as bedding, pillows, etc. for low income families, families of children with disabilities or adults with disabilities. Clothing is also available in various sizes. Bedding is available for twin, queen, full and king beds

Cornerstone Outreach
1111 N. Buchanan     381-2131
Food give away is every Friday at noon or call if an emergency.
Kids Feeding Kids: This is a summer food program.
Counseling Services
Clothing Tuesday-Thursday or by appointment

Eyeglasses Help
Maverick Club - 372-8393
Has vouchers for sight for student glasses. Contact Jessica for the vouchers.

Site for Students  by VSP   http://www.sightforstudents.org/

HIS Vision Center:  806-352-5615
This center, located on Eighth Avenue, opens about once a month to give free adult eye exams and glasses.  It is sponsored by St. Paul United Methodist Church and the Downtown Lions Club 

Downtown Lions Club of Amarillo - 373-0648

Faith City Mission 
401 SE 2nd        373-6402
Meals served Monday - Saturday 5:45am, 11:30am, 5:00pm 

Food Stamps, Medicaid and TANF services 
28 Western Plaza Drive     376-7214     www.yourtexasbenefits.com
You can get a phone interview and an appointment will be set up if necessary.  

Free Clothes
301 S. Polk, Ste 740      806-337-1700 ext. 212
Uniting Parents have clothing for students that need them.  There is mostly women's and girls but there are a few men's shirts and t-shirts. Call and make an appointment.

Freedom Baptist Church 
900 Alta Vista   354-8499   Call ahead.
Food give-away every 4th Thursday of the month if there are 4 weeks in a month.  
Clothing Give-away is 5pm   Food Give-away is at 6pm.

High Plains Food Bank    http://www.hpfb.org/
Contact Nellie Ramon - (806) 374-8562  Nellie can help people throughout the Panhandle get signed up for food stamps, Medicaid, TANF and Chip

Homeless Services for AISD 
Call Kimber @ 806-326-3253
Is housed at Guyon Saunders Resource Center.  Can assist families that are homeless with school supplies, clothing, food and bus tokens. 

Eveline Rivers Coat Give-Away 
314 S. Jefferson     806-372-3985
Coats are given to infants, preschoolers, and school aged children only. Must have the original Eveline Rivers referral from school or agency, Social Security cards for every child or a registration form from school or school ID, Proof of residence.  Children must be present to get a coat.

Housing Rights 
West Texas Legal Service     http://www.lanwt.org/locations_amarillo.asp
373-6808  203 SW 8th Ave, Amarillo
No charge for legal services if the person qualifies for services based on income.  Can not be used for any fee generated legal issue.  This service helps with housing and landlord services and other issues.

Kids' Cafe 
Kids Cafe Locations and Schedules:

Hamlet Elementary - Monday through Friday, 4:30pm. - 5:30pm  
Humphrey's Highland Elementary - Monday through Friday, 4:00pm. - 5:30pm
Lee Elementary -   
Monday through Friday, 4:30pm - 5:30pm
San Jacinto Elementary - Monday through Friday, 4:00pm. - 5:30pm 

Office of Vital Statistics 
City of Amarillo   509 E. 7th      378-9344  http://www.ci.amarillo.tx.us/departments/vitalstatistic.html
Anyone needing a Texas birth certificate can get a copy here.  The office is open Monday-Friday from 8:00-5:00.  The cost for a birth certificate is $24.00.

Panhandle Community Services, "Panhandle Express"
Located at 1309 W. 8th
Refurbished van that services people with utility assistance, Help for families in transition and food. It will drive to regional towns, park and set up the mobile office. Clients will be able to fill out applications. It will also work with the High Plains Food Bank to bring food to smaller communities.

Refugee and Citizenship
Resettlement services that include medical, orientation, employment, housing, transportation, school, social security number application and ESL.  Translation services in 14 languages.

School Supplies
Please contact your campus for assistance with school supplies.

Salvation Army 
Serving Amarillo-High Plains

Original State I.D./D.L. & Social Security 
Eviction notice and Lease agreement with land lords name and number 
Proof of income 
Statement from landlord saying how much you owe and what charges have been added to your account. 
Every 365 days from prior overnight stay, if qualified.

UTILITY ASSISTANCE: Original State I.D./D.L. & Social Security 
Most recent Bill & Disconnect Notice   name must match person seeking assistance 
Proof of income 
Every 365 days from prior overnight stay, if qualified.

PRESCRIPTION ASSISTANCE: Original State I.D./D.L. & Social Security 
Original Prescription 
Proof of income or homeless verification letter 
Every 365 days from prior overnight stay, if qualified.

HOMELESS - 1 ST TIME DEPOSIT &/or RENT        Original State I.D./D.L. & Social Security Unsigned lease agreement Proof of income Please contact Leslie Fowler with your referral at the number listed below.  Letter showing shelter case management for a minimum of 30 consecutive days.   Every 365 days from prior overnight stay, if qualified.

Southwest Church of Christ  
4515 Cornell   Call Misty @ 352-5647   

Call after 1pm on Monday & Tuesday (1-3pm), Wednesday all day (8-5)
They have clothing, household items, some furniture.  It also has counseling - spiritual, financial, employment, marriage. Opens 8:00am-5:00pm for clothing (appointment only)  Call for appointments on Monday  353-0883.   Clothing is distributed on Wednesdays.  For further information: 

SI Benefits
806-324-2241  or  800-772-1213  
SSI is a federal program that makes monthly payments to people who have limited income and resources if they are 65 or older or if they are blind or have another disability.  Being eligible for SSI means you receive a monthly benefit and could receive medical services, Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps and other social services.  You must be a US citizen to get these benefits.

TAIRS               http://www.tairs.org/
The Texas Alliance of Information and Referral Systems, Inc. (TAIRS) is a statewide association of agencies and individuals committed to the provision of quality information, referral and helpline services.

Our members include United Ways, crisis hotlines, community councils, libraries, military services centers, state health and human service agencies, elder help lines, 2-1-1s, child care resource and referral providers, and others who provide hotline and information services.

TAIRS offers an annual training conference for our members and other interested service providers.

Information and Referral is about bringing people and services together. TAIRS provides an essential communication link between people who need services and those who provide them. It is a connection to State, Regional and National Networks for long distance caregivers. It is a facilitator, broker and advocate.

The Thrift City  http://www.dwcenter.org/retail-stores.php
This is a retail store and they are welcome to shop but do not give out free clothing.

Washington St. Family Service Center
806-352-1307   Dennis Westover  4002 S Washington

This place offers lots of all-age clothing, toiletries, and emergency food.  Adults, bring drivers' license or social security card.                   

West Texas Legal Services 
 203 W. 8th   373-6808   

A person must qualify financially first.  If they qualify, they can receive services by attorney for family problems, housing & landlord issues, and other situations. 


Clinic times and dates at Polk Street Methodist Church:
     Third Tuesday and alternate between Polk St. and Wesley
Clinic times at Wesley Community Center: 4:30 - 7pm
Also at Tyler Street Resource Center, an attorney will be in the swing room from 2:00p to 3:00p every first and third Wednesday from 1:30 until finished.

1-800-942-3678  or 371-1119    
Support to families in Texas.  Offers nutritional food and milk products high in calcium, protein, iron, and 
vitamin C.  Children must be under age 5 to receive.

Your Texas Benefits        
offers you easy and secure online access to Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) benefits including Medicaid, Food Stamps, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Children's Health Insurance, and nursing home care and other services for people who are elderly or have disabilities.

You can apply for:

  • SNAP food benefits (food stamps)
  • Health care benefits (Medicaid)
  • Cash help for families (TANF)
  • Medicare savings program
  • Long-term care


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.