Educators are the "CORE" of what we do in Amarillo ISD.
We're looking for the next generation of educators and we know they're already in our classrooms – as students.
Cultivating Our Rising Educators mission is to identify current high school seniors who exhibit a passion and natural talents to teach and to provide mentorship and support to these students from college to employment with AISD.
Each year, 20 Amarillo ISD high school senior students are chosen from a pool of competitive applicants with an interest in teaching to enter the CORE cohort.
Who can apply for CORE?
We are looking for current AISD seniors who want to be an AISD teacher upon graduation from West Texas A&M University with a Bachelor's degree in Education and a Texas Educator Certificate in their chosen field.
Benefits of Being in CORE:
- You will be assigned a mentor teacher from AISD. This mentor will be there for you all four years of college as well as the first year of your teaching career.
- You will be eligible to apply through WTAMU and receive a housing incentive while living on campus.
- You will receive teacher training from AISD that will help you be successful upon entering the classroom Day 1.
- You will have access to a vast amount of resources to assist you through college.
- You will be involved in volunteerism throughout AISD and the community.
- YOU WILL BE A TEACHER WITH AISD – Upon graduating from college with a Bachelor’s degree, attaining a Texas Educator Certification, meeting the high standards of Amarillo Independent School District, and receiving AISD Board of Trustee approval.
The Application Process is Simple!
- Apply and be accepted to Amarillo College or West Texas A&M University.
- Complete AC or WTAMU's online scholarship applications by their priority deadline dates.
- Secure a letter of recommendation from an AISD educator, professional support staff member (counselor, librarian, etc.) or administrator who has made a strong impact on you. You will include his/her name and email address on your application, and an electronic reference will be sent to him/her to complete.
- Complete your online application by creating an account in TalentEd:
- Go to https://amaisd.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx (Page opens in a new window).
- Find the listing “Cultivating Our Rising Educators (CORE)” and click on that posting.
- Click “Apply”.
- You will be asked to create an account:
- You must have an email address.
- You will create a login and password that you will remember.
- Complete all parts of the application and submit. Application period opens in November of each year.
- SUBMIT YOUR COMPLETE APPLICATION BEFORE January 31st at 11:59 p.m.
Second Round of Application Process
- On February 1, you will receive a link to complete an online video interview.
- Complete the video interview by the 14th of February.
The 20 students chosen to be in the AISD CORE cohort will be announced in April.
When you become a teacher in AISD, you will be able to share your passion for learning with our students and families. You will make a difference in the lives of students in your classroom as well as those around you. You will be able to spark interest in students with a desire to teach to follow the path of CORE when they graduate!
“Everyone who remembers his own education remembers teachers, not methods and techniques. The teacher is the heart of the educational system.” – Sidney Hook